The busy life plus three: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR KIDS

Sunday, June 11, 2017

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR KIDS



Taking pictures of my kids is one of my favorite things to do. To capture their sweet faces on camera is the absolute best. I am no photographer by any means. I am just a mom with a camera. A camera that I enjoy bringing along. Something that has become a hobby. Snapping photos on regular basis has gotten my kids to become comfortable with it. But that doesn't mean we also don't have bad days.. because with kids you are guaranteed at  least one tantrum for the day. Yet that doesn't stop me from planning photo sessions with our photographer- who I tend to call every month for new photos. 
But that ugly truth is it can be quite a struggle. It can become painful if your kids are not in the mood for photos. So if you scheduled a session with a professional photographer start planning ahead. You have to keep in mind that photos cannot be forced because kids cannot be staged. You might have a certain pose in mind and you might want to follow through with it but chances are it may not happen. 
Keep in  mind not to get disappointed. 
Also planning their outfits to coordinate with each other is a top on the to do list. Start with the youngest or with yourself and focus on that person as the main focal point. Plan the pattern and colors as you are putting only one outfit in your mind and go from there. 
With all that in mind I want to share the "behind the scenes" of the not so pretty out-takes that my husband took while we went out for lunch. You know the ones that don't make it out on social media because.. 


KIDS will be KIDS!
Here are some tips to get your kids to smile when you have a photo session: 
  • Let Them Be-  the best advice is to stay away from poses, or the famous saying of "cheese" just don't. Let them act silly, be themselves. Candid shots capture your child's personality the best. When they act themselves you are able to get the most innocent moments. 

  • Get Social- start talking to your kids. Distract them so they relax and get comfortable. Ask them about their day, or what they want to eat after they are done with their pictures. Snapping the genuine expressions on their faces are quite irresistible for us parents. 

  •  Make it Fun- Let them run wild if you have to. The best way to capture those smiles is when they are naturally smiling and laughing. You don't have to force it, it'll come on its own. 

  • Bring Your Diaper Bag Packed- Get your everyday essentials. All the things you know your kids will need to calm them down and stay entertained ex: snacks, juices, an iPad, and also can't forget the wipes to clean them up for photos, the hand sanitizer and those Kleenex Go Anywhere packs to wipe their noses or dirty face. With allergy season here I know it can get messy so why not stay prepared with something easy to take on the go plus it's gentle on your kid's faces. Going out with all kids can get hectic so wipes, sanitizer and Kleenex tissues are a must for me! All I do is strap it my Lily Jade diaper bag and I am ready to go. 


Find your #KleenexGoAnywhere Packs at your local Walmart and save .50 cents by clicking here




How do You plan photos with kids? What tips have helped you accomplished family sessions with good results?




28 comments:

  1. Planning photos with my daughter can always be so tough. I've found that most of the photos of her that I end up loving are the ones that were unplanned, snapped in the very last second, but almost always capturing sheer moments of joy. Your kids are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking photos of my daughter, too! But it seems like she is constantly in motion as a toddler and I never get that "right" shot. So, I stopped trying, but kept snapping away. Sometimes I get a shot of a big blur and sometimes I get the best candid shot ever. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tips! And I love Kleenex Go Anywhere packs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always dread pics with the kids - ha! I know it sounds terrible, but it's hard to get them to focus! Luckily I love the candid shots best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I love kid photos - even when they are messy. It's the most fun to me and I love to capture them in their element!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips. I know that I have learned to let them go but I still snap like 30 shots to hopefully catch a good one. Although, sometimes the raw moments captured are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If one isn't looking the other is giving thee best smile, right? Mom life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I needed to read this as I am always so frustrated with trying to get photos of my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see we just gave up. It just wasn't going to happen on this day. You win some, you lose soms

      Delete
  9. My kiddo is autistic, so getting family photos is doubly complicated. Our best ones have come from when we get someone we know to take the photos so he doesn't freeze. I also needed to just chill out about all three of use looking at the camera at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that little attachment for the diaper bag! That would definitely come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. So handy that you can't forget to bring it along because it's already attached to your bag.

      Delete
  11. Great tips! Usually my little guy smiles the second he sees the camera but who knows how much longer that will last...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are good tips. I definitely think it is better not to pose them. I don't have kids of my own but I love taking pictures! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a constant fight with the youngest kid she hates when its photo time for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your tip "let them be." My favorite photos of my kids are the ones that are unplanned and unstaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love when we capture those sweet smiles that aren't forced. It's like yessss, my job here is done! 😉

      Delete
  15. what great tips. I always take candid photos they are the best

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are such great tips and I didn't even know about those Kleenex things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bribery.... bibiery is how I deal with trying to get photos of my kids. And just snapping a crap ton of pictures all at once, and then looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never really coordinate our looks when we venture out! I will start doing that. Great tip!



    Maya
    IG: @justmeomaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great tips! Photographing my kids can be a real challenge sometimes. Also, I love those Kleenex packs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips, especially the part about letting them be. I try to capture them in their element and candid photos as they always turn out better than all the posed photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent tip to plan way in advance to get the kiddos in a good mood for the photo shoot and forget about specific poses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips! Taking pictures of my kids can definitely be such a struggle sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I am also coordinating outfits if we're going somewhere where I think we'll be taking a lot of pictures. And I'm all about those candid shots too!

    ReplyDelete