The busy life plus three: 27 Truths for 27 Years

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

27 Truths for 27 Years

Last month I celebrated my 27th Birthday. Here it is, 27. Yikes! Now I am feeling old. To me 26 still felt good- even young maybe. But 27 is feeling much bigger. A feeling of maturity and so dang close to hitting the big 3-0. It's kinda scary actually. 




So I took a small break from blogging as I had the best time relaxing & spending time with my dear parents, a few friends, and most importantly the kids and I had a lot of  time with my husband. We even went on a few dates together - more than I could count (in just one month) and these date nights were much needed and refreshing.

Turning a year older 

I been thinking and reflecting back on the past years- the highs and lows. Some lessons I've learned along the way to where I am today. I want to share 27 lessons, facts, favorite quotes, and real raw truths I've internalized and made my own:

  • Hangovers suck when you're a mom- Just Kidding Guys! Never been drunk in my life! No seriously I am a light drinker. Give me a glass of sweet white wine or a pina colada and I'm good.
  • Motherhood is a beautiful mess. It is chaotic, terrifying, and rewarding all together. 
  • Marriage is not easy. You have to actively fight for your marriage and never give up on each other. Real relationships aren't perfect, and perfect relationships aren't real. What many couples forget is you both have to equally want it, so never give up your love for one another.
  • Find your passion, and stick with it. We will all have our own different paths. I am my own person. To me that is my family, watching my kids grow is what I am most passionate about being present in their daily lives. 
  • It's okay to be a homebody. I am a self confessed homebody. It's just who I am. I like to have a clean organized home that makes me feel relaxed. When everything is in place we tend to find our sanity. And there is no better place to be yourself than at home.                              
  • No one prepares you to be a parent, you just learn as you go. I was 19 when I got pregnant and 20 when I had my first child. Didn't know what to expect but hey I've made it!
  • Friendships don't last forever. Can't even count how many "friends" I don't talk to anymore. They say quality over quantity. This is quite true. Remember that!
  • Treasure that one childhood friend. Although people grow apart I think its important to stay friends with at least one or two people from your childhood. These are the people that will keep you grounded and remind you where you came from. I am beyond lucky to have a best friend who I've known since Elementary and fortunate to know she will always be there with open arms when I need her the most. 
  • Give without expecting anything in return- or you will end up disappointed. Not everyone has your best interest in mind. 
  • The best support system I have found in life is and will always be my parents.
  • Not everyone will like you, and that is okay. I think this is something I've struggled with since I was a teen because I have always looked for acceptance even from those who didn't deserve it.
  • Life is not a competition. There's no such thing as being behind someone else, you can't compare your own life to someone elses.
  • Speak your mind. Have a voice, express how you feel or people will walk all over you. 
  • Learning to say "no" and not feel guilty for it.
  • Know your worth. You learn not to take other peoples crap. Once you know time is precious, you will realize some people are not worth your time. You will know it is perfectly fine to walk away from toxic people. 
    • Get out of your comfort zone. Go out there. Meet new people, don't be afraid to socialize with a new crowd of people. You will be surprised how much you can learn from them. 
    • You will always love your children deeply-but there will be times (many to be precise) that you will not like them, and that is completely fine. 
    • Shopping alone is the only getaway vacation I'll get. Yes every aisle at Target and Hobby Lobby is a dreamy paradise walk. Might be exaggerating a bit- but it's close enough to the truth.
    • Losing the baby weight only gets harder as you get older. Our metabolism naturally slows down as we get older so finding time to exercise is needed. I have an almost 2 year old and yet I still cannot get back to my pre-baby weight. It's a daily battle to accept ones postpartum body after kids. 
    • Spending Fridays nights at home ordering take out & catching up on shows with your husband once the kids have finally gone to bed and calling that the highlight of your week. Yes this is parenting life at its finest!
    • Unplug from all Social Media. Do it at least once a week or two. You will thank me later. We tend to focus on the outside world too much that we stop enjoying our present moment here right now. Sometimes it's good to enjoy that moment for ourselves without sharing it with the rest of the world. 
    • Learn to love what you have build. My husband and I became parents young. I feel we had to grow up much quicker than most people our age. I became a home owner at the age of 21, it is something I am proud of but also find myself six years later wanting more. So I say- learn to love your home. Learn to love what you have. You have a roof over your head, food to feed you and your kids, house bills to pay. You are doing the best that you can!
    • "The older I get, the more I realize the value of privacy, of cultivating your circle and only letting certain people in. You can be open, honest, and real while still understanding not everyone deserves a seat at the table of your life." 
    • "Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again." -Eleanor Roosevelt 
    • "Learn to accept people for who they are. Learn to reject them for that same reason." 
    • Take time for yourself. Sometimes we tend to forget we can't take care of others unless we take time for ourselves. 
    • "Fill your life with adventures, not things, have stories to tell not stuff to show."- Love this quote because I feel our generation has the wrong outlook in life. There's many individuals who think material things matter most and my perspective in life is the absolute opposite. Making memories surrounded by your loves ones have a bigger worth. 


    32 comments:

    1. Happy 27th year! 27 is not old, it's just the beginning! Oh the things I would do if I was 27 right now. Enjoy, the best is yet to come. Love these wise tips!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Happy Birthday Momma! Loved this post! Everything you wrote is sooo true, and definitely all things I've learned in my 20's too!

      ReplyDelete
    3. It is funny how a number can make you feel a certain way. I am 37 and the other day thought, (Since I have 2 boys and one almost here) that I won't look pretty again until they are 10. (they will be less needy then) But then I realized that will make me 47. :0 - Maybe my days are over. hahaha

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh no! Don't think that. I think we do let that certain number bother us but also I will say I'm grateful for what it's given me- I feel every year we become more wiser. And we will always be beautiful to our children no matter what

        Delete
    4. Happy 27th! I'm 18 and I actually really needed to read this - maybe not the baby weight one haha! But definitely the rest, thank you for inspiring me on a boring Wednesday morning!
      Kate || www.katerattley.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. I love this so much. It's so insightful and so truthful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This rings true for 34 too! Love your comment on not everyone will like you and that's ok. I have learned this lesson and it's nice to be able to just be yourself. Being a mom is hard but good news is we are not alone in this struggle! Great list and enjoy 27!

      ReplyDelete
    7. What a pretty top! Happy 27th!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Happy birthday! These are great points. I absolutely agree with the point that nothing will prepare your for motherhood! But it is completely beautiful and worth it!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Happy Birthday! Love this list!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great post! As a 27 year old, it's interesting for me to see where other people are at in their lives at this age. I guess everyone is different and there are ups and downs to everything.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Happy Birthday my fellow Pisces!!! Such a great post! 27 was a great year for me and definitely don't fear the big 3-0!

      ReplyDelete
    12. I love this so much!! You shared so much goodness in this post!! Not bad for a youngin'! Hahaha! Seriously, I hope this is your best year yet!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Happy birthday! I love the one about speaking your mind!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Happy Birthday! What are great list and these are so true! Thanks for sharing :)

      ReplyDelete
    15. Great post, learning as you go is a great way to describe parenthood.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Love these truths!!! 27 looking more like 21 my friend! Love and admire your flow!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Happy Birthday! Sounds like 27 perfect things :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. This is a great post, but I'm over here obsessing about your top. ;) Where did you get it?

      ReplyDelete
    19. Happy 27th birthday! I love this list. I was reading & thinking, "This is my favorite...no, wait, this...". I do really love "life is not a competition". Truth.

      ReplyDelete
    20. I am the biggest homebody now, A perfect evening in is at home with my Husband a good movie on Netflix and a mug of hot chai! Perfection! Happy 27th Birthday! 27 is great! turning 30 hurt though lol!

      Ellie
      www.scotchandstilettos.com

      ReplyDelete
    21. Happy birthday. My 27th was when I finally felt like an adult. Now, ten years later I'm wishing I was still 27. And...I love your truths. It's as if I wrote this post! Love it.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Happy birthday!!! Wish i was still 27, at 30 the 3-0 is waaaay too real :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. How did I miss this post? Love it!! Happy Late Birthday Babe!

      ReplyDelete
    24. Happy Birthday! I'm 27 so I really enjoyed reading your truths. I couldn't agree more about unplugging as well. I recently wrote about that topic, and it's so true. These days it is so valuable to have time away from technology to focus on your loved ones.
      - www.SCsScoop.com

      ReplyDelete
    25. Fantastic post - I'm just learning to say 'no' to people, and it's been something I've struggled with doing up until now. I'm getting to that age where I'm trying to not care what people thing. Thanks for sharing :)

      ReplyDelete
    26. Happy Birthday!! I also need to learn how to say no without feeling the guilt... I'm working on it. And I'm turning 25 this year, and freaking out about it because I just feel so dang old! But you make 27 look so good, so I'm not so worried anymore! :)

      ReplyDelete
    27. Happy 27th! Don't worry about having an additional number. Just enjoy the present and I think that you have been already through a lot. What you pointed here are all true. I experienced those things too. May you have more colorful years ahead of you. :)

      ReplyDelete
    28. I love your list. Treasure that childhood friend. YES!!! Christelle

      ReplyDelete